News Article

 

Prime Minister dedicates Gas Cracker to nation.

Lepetkata, Guwahati, Assam [Feb 2016]

The Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL) project was finally operationalised as Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the petrochemical complex to the nation at a public function here today. He also simultaneously dedicated to the countrymen the Numaligarh Refinery Limited's Wax Plant by unveiling the ceremonial plaques.
Addressing a huge gathering at the dedication ceremony, the Prime Minister said that the project should have been implemented 25 years back. "Had this project started 25 years earlier, several industries would have come up by now and many would have been
employed and peace would have been ensured. The delay has already denied employment to one generation," he said.
The petrochemical project is an offshoot of the historic Assam Accord signed on August 15, 1985. The foundation stone of the project was laid by the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on April 9, 2007.
The petrochemical plant, a Central Public Sector Enterprise under the Union Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, is spread across 3303 bighas, 4 kathas and 15 lessas of land and was built at a cost of Rs 9,285 crore. Initially the project cost was Rs 5,460.61 crore, but later it was revised due to time and cost overrun. The GAIL (India) Limited is the main promoter with 70% equity participation and the remaining 30% is equally shared by the Oil India Limited, Numaligarh Refinery Limited and the Government of Assam.
The petrochemical complex is expected to produce 2,80,000 tons of polymer products per annum and boost employment generation, both
directly and indirectly.
The Prime Minister, in his speech, urged the ministry concerned to make available the raw materials from the BCPL to the people of Assam first and then to the rest of the country.
The wax plant, commissioned in March 2015 at a cost of Rs 676 crore, will also open up opportunities for ancillary industries to thrive, while creating avenues for large scale employment.
Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers Ananth Kumar and Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi also addressed the gathering during the dedication ceremony. Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal had delivered the welcome address.

 

 

 

Courtesy: by VOA Team /Internet